- Contact the exchange team at your home university to discuss studying at the Asper School of Business on your exchange. If approved by them, they'll send us your nomination details.
- Once we receive your nomination, we'll send you the online application form directly. You'll need to submit your transcript/record of grades, along with your English proficiency test results, if you are coming from a country from which we require this.
- Most incoming exchange students prefer to live on campus. Rooms can fill quickly, so you are encouraged to apply online as soon as you have been nominated to give yourself the best chance at securing a spot. You do not need to have been accepted to the University of Manitoba to apply.
- Fall term (September start): nominations due March 15, applications due April 1
- Winter term (January start): nominations due August 15, applications due September 1
Important dates for specific terms can be found here.
Courses and Registration
Inbound exchange students must take a minimum of two business courses per term at Asper. Due to space constraints, and that business students often do not have the correct pre requisites to take courses in other faculties, students are strongly encouraged to take courses through Asper only where possible. You can look at the university course offerings through Aurora, searching by the relevant department (e.g. marketing, finance, human resource management, etc.)
Prior to your arrival in Winnipeg, you will be contacted by Asper's Exchange Coordinator and asked to submit your course selections. Students should have approval from their home school for all courses they request to be registered in. All courses at Asper are worth 3 credit hours per term, often converted as 6 ECTS, and are 39 lecture hours per semester.
Most courses at Asper require the use of textbooks, which cost an average of $150 per course, and can be purchased at the campus bookstore. You may be able to find used books for lower costs, and are encouraged to sell your books at the end of your time in Winnipeg.
In person attendance for all exams is mandatory. Students must not book onward flights from Winnipeg at the end of their exchange until their final exam schedule has been confirmed. Exams may only be written once, and there is no opportunity for exam "resits."
All incoming exchange students pay tuition to their home institutions as normal. Incoming exchange students are required to pay student organization fees of approximately $130 per term, in line with UM's normal fee deadlines. Late payments will be subject to late fees.
All incoming exchange students are required to have comprehensive travel health insurance for the full duration of their exchange. Exchange students are not eligible for public healthcare through the Province of Manitoba. Students must purchase insurance through their home school, an insurer through their home country, or may purchase through the University of Manitoba Students' Union.
Exchange students may choose to purchase a U-Pass, which provides unlimited access to the Winnipeg Transit bus system. The pass costs approximately $140CAD per term. You must bring a copy of your student ID and fee statement to the Answers booth in University Centre during the opt in period (review the link above for dates) to receive your U-Pass.
AIMS, the Association of International Management Students, is a dedicated group just for incoming Asper exchange students! You'll be assigned an Asper buddy to pick you up from the airport and to help you get settled. AIMS will also plan a range of academic and social activities for you throughout your exchange! You'll get to enjoy weekends away, trips to local tourist attractions, social events, as well as speaker series and events with members of Winnipeg's business community.